[aklug] Since we're talking about LVM

From: Thomison, Lee <ThomisonL@muni.org>
Date: Mon Apr 06 2009 - 08:46:16 AKDT

Since we're talking about LVM, and I'm in learning mode, I've couple of que=
stions been kicking around in the back of my head for a while now. Perhaps=
 it's time to kick them out...

1. Putting /boot on it's own partitition outside the volgroup I understand=
, at least until grub catches up, and maybe even after that for recovery op=
tions, etc. But I've noticed that everyone is putting their swap inside th=
e volgroup. This puzzles me, because I've always understood that the swap =
system itself was optimized to work across multiple drives directly; that's=
 why you didn't stripe swap. So why is swap being included in a volgroup r=
ather than outside on their own partitions as has been practice in the past=
?

2. I have always been in the habit of putting /home (and often /var) on th=
eir own partitions and/or raidgroup (used to be raid5, is now raid10 with 4=
 drives). On the one hand I can see that having more than one volgroup wou=
ld seem to be kind of useless if not actually silly because of the argument=
 for being able to reallocate space as and where needed. On the other hand=
, it just seems iffy to include /home in the same volgroup as everything el=
se. Is there something I'm missing here? =20

I guess let me rephrase the question from a different eye...why would anyon=
e ever use more than one volgroup on a machine?

3. What are the thoughts about EVMS? Why is LVM gaining traction and EVMS=
 is not?

Thanks!