[aklug] Re: Since we're talking about LVM

From: Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com>
Date: Wed Apr 08 2009 - 13:45:03 AKDT

On Monday 06 April 2009, Thomison, Lee said something like:
> 1. Putting /boot on it's own partitition outside the volgroup I
> understand= , at least until grub catches up, and maybe even after
> that for recovery op= tions, etc. But I've noticed that everyone is
> putting their swap inside th= e volgroup. This puzzles me, because
> I've always understood that the swap = system itself was optimized to
> work across multiple drives directly; that's= why you didn't stripe
> swap. So why is swap being included in a volgroup r= ather than
> outside on their own partitions as has been practice in the past= ?

I my case, I put swap on the main VG because everything except /boot is
encrypted. I want swap encrypted too, so it's not readable if the
laptop is stolen. True, I could do an encrypted device on which swap
would reside, but it's just simpler to put it in the VG.

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0xDB26D7CE