[aklug] Re: Question regarding paritioning and drive space

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Mon Apr 06 2009 - 09:01:33 AKDT

On Sun, 5 Apr 2009, Christopher Howard wrote:

> The LVM is an extra abstraction layer, right? That makes me kind of nervous.
> I've seen a lot of LVM problem posts on the net... Is there any significant
> added risk to using LVM?

Weird, I though Mike had already gotten this one. I've used LVM for years
(since the LVM1 days). Extended features (like snapshoting) weren't very
robust back then, but the basic LVM stuff has always just worked. Well
enough to be used on just about every business production machine I've had
to maintain over the last six or seven years.

For over a year now I've even run the root filesystem and swap on LVs. As
Mike mentioned, it makes it trivial to grow filesystems where I need rather
than prognosticating where I might actually need it. Even adding more swap
becomes simple. End sum, I get much better utilization of my available disk
space, and I don't impose any limits on what I can do without rebuilding the
disk just because of lack of foresight and bad decisions.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die