[aklug] Re: Another graphics driver question...

From: Michael Fowler <michael@shoebox.net>
Date: Tue Mar 24 2009 - 23:08:03 AKDT

I build the kernel driver from the nvidia-kernel-source package, which
provides the package that nvidia-glx needs. Once that's done everything
works fine.

It used to be a bit of a pain looking through my notes to find how to
build the thing each time I upgrade, but when I upgraded to lenny it
pointed me to module-assistant. It's much easier.

I do want to note, however, that nvidia-kernel-source simply refused to
build with Linux 2.6.28.7. Apparently headers are moved around, but I
was able to resolve that; the real kicker was there were changes to the
number of arguments in some SMP calls. This may not affect everyone,
but if you're having trouble building it you might try downgrading to
2.6.26.

Once I downgraded module-assistant was able to build and install it
without fuss.

--
Michael Fowler
www.shoebox.net