[aklug] Another graphics driver question...

From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
Date: Sat Mar 21 2009 - 23:19:45 AKDT

TAKE YOUR FINGER OFF OF THAT DELETE KEY! Thanks.

Question for those of you who use Debian: Do any of you guys use the
NVIDIA drivers and module from the offical repositories? (I've always used
the Lenny repos since I switched to Debian.)

Whenever I've tried using these when setting up a new system, my 3D
acceleration never works (which is the whole point). Consequently, I end
up just downloading the install package from NVIDIA, installing the
necessary kernel headers, and then running the install package, which
always seems to work.

The only downside here is that each time I get a new kernel from the
repositories, I lose the 3D acceleration, and I've got to go through the
whole thing again.

This is annoying because my preference is to upgrade the kernel the
moment a new one shows up in the repos. (To get better security, and all
that.) Also, I prefer to set up automatic, scripted upgrades, which I
can't do if I have to manually install the NVIDIA drivers all the time.

(Side note: The next graphics card I buy will probably be ATI, but at the
moment I happen to have 5 NVIDIA cards which I didn't have to pay for...)

--
Christopher Howard
http://indicium.us