[aklug] Re: Another graphics driver question...

From: Shane R. Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Sun Mar 22 2009 - 08:50:32 AKDT

So make sure you are using the right nvidia packages for your system
depending on the card model.
http://packages.debian.org/lenny/nvidia-glx
http://packages.debian.org/lenny/nvidia-glx-legacy-96xx

Both of these packages have binary packages in lennys repositories. If
the kernel is updated and the nvidia packages aren't updated as well
then you should install the 'nvidia-kernel-source' or
'nvidia-kernel-legacy-96xx-source' packages and use module-assistant to
compile them correctly.

Have you already tried this?

Christopher Howard wrote:
> TAKE YOUR FINGER OFF OF THAT DELETE KEY! Thanks.
>
> Question for those of you who use Debian: Do any of you guys use the
> NVIDIA drivers and module from the offical repositories? (I've always used
> the Lenny repos since I switched to Debian.)
>
> Whenever I've tried using these when setting up a new system, my 3D
> acceleration never works (which is the whole point). Consequently, I end
> up just downloading the install package from NVIDIA, installing the
> necessary kernel headers, and then running the install package, which
> always seems to work.
>
> The only downside here is that each time I get a new kernel from the
> repositories, I lose the 3D acceleration, and I've got to go through the
> whole thing again.
>
> This is annoying because my preference is to upgrade the kernel the
> moment a new one shows up in the repos. (To get better security, and all
> that.) Also, I prefer to set up automatic, scripted upgrades, which I
> can't do if I have to manually install the NVIDIA drivers all the time.
>
> (Side note: The next graphics card I buy will probably be ATI, but at the
> moment I happen to have 5 NVIDIA cards which I didn't have to pay for...)

-- File: signature.asc
-- Desc: OpenPGP digital signature