[aklug] Re: Distributions, and a couple liesurely questions

From: David Prentice <ak.prentice@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Mar 19 2009 - 18:09:57 AKDT

Ubuntu has for a long time had a utility to install fglrx. It has had
different names. The one that sticks with me is the "restricted
drivers" or somesuch name.

Envy automates the compile and install of the actual proprietary ATi
or nVidia drivers, from manufacturer, from source. Its a bit different
from what Jockey does, but it may have been surpassed by Jockey in
Jaunty. According to Envy's author, it is supported up through Hardy
and he appears to be involved in Jockey development for
Intrepid/Jaunty.

Mint has rolled with Envy for several releases, including the current
Intrepid-based "Mint 6 Felicia".

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 5:35 PM, Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com> w=
rote: