[aklug] Re: Distributions, and a couple liesurely questions

From: David Prentice <ak.prentice@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Mar 19 2009 - 15:10:10 AKDT

Ubuntu is good, as Damien suggests. I'd actually suggest Mint, unless
you feel like running a little more bleeding edge with Ubuntu Jaunty.

I especially find laptop support to be much better with Mint than
Ubuntu of the same revision level. With Jaunty rolling out on the
26th, this realistically means comparing Ubuntu Jaunty with Mint
Felicia (based on Intrepid), and while I still think that Mint should
come out on top this is something you should decide for yourself.

Mint installs with Envy to build the ATI support out of ATI's catalyst
source code; Ubuntu needs Envy installed seperately to get the same. A
lot of little things, like wireless and audio, that may require a
little tweaking in Ubuntu work by default with Mint simply because the
installer comes with a wider range of device support. Both can do
Compiz. Both use the same repos. Both can use debs. Mint is Ubuntu
with a little extra polish.

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 2:51 PM, Damien Hull <damien@linuxninjas.tv> wrote:
> One word... Ubuntu!=3D20

An=3D