[aklug] Re: Super Grub Disk

From: Greg Madden <gomadtroll@acsalaska.net>
Date: Tue Mar 17 2009 - 09:50:46 AKDT

On Tuesday 17 March 2009, bob@estimations wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I just recently installed a new HDD in a computer, planning to dual
> boot it with Windows XP on one drive and Ubuntu on the other. Long
> story short, I accidentally garbaged grub so it wouldn't boot. On
> power up, I got a Grub Error 22 message.
>
> Anyway, a google search for "grub error 22" led me to find
> http://www.supergrubdisk.org/ which allowed me to fix it painlessly.
> Here is what their website says about it.
>
> "We want Linux newbies to restore their new toy, but also help the
> Linux advanced user make potentially dangerous operations to the MBR
> in a safe way. Super Grub Disk is also a teaching tool to help you
> learn more about bootloaders and the booting process."

Thanks, SGD is a great tool . I found it after Ubuntu, not me :-), hosed
my mbr. The educational part: SGD uses 'syslinux' as the bootloader,
http://syslinux.zytor.com/wiki/index.php/The_Syslinux_Project.

FYI stuff, I installed Ubuntu on an externel hd from a laptop running XP,
I didn't want to touch the hd on the laptop. Ubuntu installs grub into
the mbr of the first hd it finds, no questions asked. Me, being a Debian
user, I was used to being asked were to install grub. I wanted to have
two sepeate installs with their own boot loaders. SGD/syslinux to the
rescue. I didn't have a XP recovery console available, boot from an oem
XP disk, which can restore the original mbr, allowing you to retry Grub
install.

Another tool recently posted here was a great help. The boot
option 'ntpasswd' on the SystemRescueCD will walk you right through
correcting password issues on a Windows box, as in ' no root passwd'. A
breath of fresh air when working on Windows !

--
Peace
Greg Madden