[aklug] Re: Any web/database people out there?

From: Marc Grober <marc@interak.com>
Date: Tue Mar 17 2009 - 10:03:37 AKDT

LOL, according to some, anyone can do this...... just
check the list (my favorites have always been wrox, owned by
  John Wiley and Sons, but O'Reilly is everyone's first
love....) and drop in at barnesandnobels.com or your
favorite vendor..... http://books.google.com/books?q=php+books
Josh has actually provided a very nice encapsulation.
Frankly, depending on the application you can manage flat
files probably easier and quicker than rdbs in some
instances, and there was a good bit of that being done
using perl once upon a time, but then came perl db libs and
  eventually php....

What you get yourself into is what happens with concurrent
users..... and that is where all hell breaks loose and why
your design is so critical. You can have the mysql and php
in place to do what you are describing in a few hours, and
even put the web server on a different box than the mysql
with a separate channel so it can only get accessed from the
web server and harden your web server etc., but what
happens when 1000 people try to open and lock the same
records.....

I have some time and could look at a "smallish" project. I
am sure there are quite a few people in town who could do
likewise.... and I'll bet you could find someone with
extraordinary talent and experience in Mumbai just drooling
to do it....

Jim wrote:
> got the following from my brother:
>
> Any idea who could do a big database for me? Tens of thousands of
> records. Web enabled. Probably Oracle...
>
> Probably mysql, but who is to quibble. Anyone do web databases? not sure
> of the parameters, but this might be a chance to do a smallish web project!
>
> Jim

-- Type: application/x-pkcs7-signature
-- File: smime.p7s
-- Desc: S/MIME Cryptographic Signature