[aklug] Re: Trying to recover data from a bad SD card

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Wed Mar 04 2009 - 10:43:17 AKST

On Wed, 4 Mar 2009, Damien Hull wrote:

> I tried dd_rescue. No luck. Looks like /dev/sdb isn't really there. I think the system gets IO errors and gets rid of /dev/sdb or something like that.
>
> Is there a way to force /dev/sdb to stay connected to the device so I can use dd_rescue?

udev is managing your device entries, but that doesn't stop you from
manually creating the node with mknod. That said, it more than likely won't
make any difference, anyway, since the kernel is getting a media not present
error when trying to do the initial read (probably to get the partition
table so it can make the requisite /dev/sdb1, etc.).

End sum: if cleaning the contacts doesn't improve things you may very well
be SOL.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die