[aklug] Making a device "unbusy"?

From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
Date: Wed Mar 04 2009 - 16:54:03 AKST

Hi. My boss has me working on this robotics project, and I am supposed to
get the bluetooth connection working between the robot and the project's
MacOS X laptop. (Thank you for resisting the natural urge to delete this
e-mail as soon as you read "get the bluetooth connection working".)

The bluetooth connection itself is working (I believe), as Mac OS X
detects the device, and it shows up as /dev/tty.eb500-A7SerialPort-1. Last
week I was able to establish serial communication
(sort of) with the device using the screen command:

screen -fn /dev/tty.eb500-A7SerialPort-1 9600

However, this week when I run that command, screen just tells me that it
cannot establish a R/W connection because the device is busy. Even if I
reset the laptop, or try as super user, the problem persists. I can't
figure out for the life of me what is hogging the device.

Is there some way to steal the device back? Or at least figure out what
process is hogging it?

Side note: Yes, the eb500 devices does come with instructions for setting
up a usb connection, but only for Windows XP and (yes...) Windows Pocket
PC. (Apparently there are more Pocket PC users out there than
Macintosh/Linux users?)

--
Christopher Howard
http://indicium.us