[aklug] Re: Ubuntu upgrade

From: Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com>
Date: Sun Feb 08 2009 - 20:39:41 AKST

On Sunday 08 February 2009, barsalou said something like:
> I had an old laptop that had Ubuntu edgy on it. I tried using the
> upgrade tool and that ended up failing.
>
> The jist of what needed to be done is :
>
> - change your sources to point to a current release
> - use aptitude (not apt-get) to do the dist-upgrade
>
> There probably is a way to get apt-get to work, but since I only had
> the one box, I couldn't test it.
>
> The upgrade isn't actually compeleted at this point..so this could be
> a complete failure.
>
> Since I wasn't using the box for anything terribly important, it
> didn't bother me if it wasn't going to work.
>
> If it was production, I would have built a seperate box and installed
> fresh, then moved my data over.
>
> Anyone have any distro upgrade experiences they care to share?

I've upgraded from previous releases using the do-release-upgrade
script. That does all the dependency calculations, adds required
packages, removes conflicts, etc.

It's a part of the update-manager-core package. Even with
do-release-upgrade, you're only supposed to go one release at a time.
The exception to this rule is if you're going from Ubuntu 6.06 to 8.04
(one LTS release to the next...they made sure that worked). If my
memory is correct, I've actually done that and it worked.

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0xDB26D7CE