[aklug] Ubuntu upgrade

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Sun Feb 08 2009 - 14:46:04 AKST

I had an old laptop that had Ubuntu edgy on it. I tried using the
upgrade tool and that ended up failing.

The jist of what needed to be done is :

  - change your sources to point to a current release
  - use aptitude (not apt-get) to do the dist-upgrade

There probably is a way to get apt-get to work, but since I only had
the one box, I couldn't test it.

The upgrade isn't actually compeleted at this point..so this could be
a complete failure.

Since I wasn't using the box for anything terribly important, it
didn't bother me if it wasn't going to work.

If it was production, I would have built a seperate box and installed
fresh, then moved my data over.

Anyone have any distro upgrade experiences they care to share?

Mike B.