[aklug] Re: Run Boot-Time Scripts in Parallel in Ubuntu

From: Robert Crowe <crowe.robert@gmail.com>
Date: Mon Jan 26 2009 - 10:01:31 AKST

Interesting-as always any advice or tips taken from the net should be taken
with a grain of salt (as well as a lot of common sense.) I never found that
article about stability issues while googling-but my search parameters were
Intrepid-Concurrency-Shell which is probably why I missed it. The article
was dated 2006-still I like erring on the side of caution. Stability has
been my monkey lately.
I've been running my Dell core duo laptop the last week with nary a hiccup.
But I haven't added any new packages-especially start up daemons to push the
init script. Nevertheless thanks for the heads up. B

On Sat, Jan 24, 2009 at 2:53 PM, Shane R. Spencer <shane@bogomip.com> wrote:

> The insserv package helps realign which scripts start when so that
> things work correctly. There is a specification for initscripts that
> describes how dependencies work. insserv can help identifie
> non-compliant scripts and visualize the order of things. Changing how
> certain init scripts exit can help the dependency situation as well.
>
> Debians /etc/init.d/rc makes sure that each concurrent service set is
> run in order based on it's priority number. So all processes with a 20
> priority are executed in parallel.
>
> It's fun stuff but it can set you up for issues in the future when you
> install new packages.
>
> There's lots of neat new init scripts out there that attempt to figure
> out dependency information correctly without modifying the boot order.
> There were some very promising ones a few years ago. I'm sorta sad that
> they aren't more widely adopted. Heck I don't even use em cause I guess
> I don't mind the boot times.
>
> Shane
>
> Jim Gribbin wrote:
> > I started to look into this for my laptop running Fedora 10, but I think
> > 10 is already making us of this. I now it boots considerably faster than
> > it did running 8.
> >
> > After reading this article on Linux.com, I opted not to push things.
> >
> > http://www.linux.com/feature/53613
> >
> > Apparently there is a potential issue with this technique in that it's
> > possible that a process that a subsequently initiated process in the
> > start-up que depends on isn't finished starting yet and can throw the
> > entire boot process out of whack.
> >
> > Just some food for thought before one goes running off half cocked.
> >
> > Jim G
> >
> > On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 21:51 -0900, Robert Crowe wrote:
> >> CONCURRENCY=none
> >
> > ---------

иж!
"Listen to me! When you die in Alaska you die in real life!"
"Change before you have to"
"If you want to build a ship
don't herd people together to collect wood
and don't assign them tasks and work,
but rather teach them to long for the
endless immensity of the sea."
Antoine-Marie-Roger de Saint-Exupery