[aklug] Re: Run Boot-Time Scripts in Parallel in Ubuntu

From: Shane R. Spencer <shane@bogomip.com>
Date: Sat Jan 24 2009 - 14:53:05 AKST

The insserv package helps realign which scripts start when so that
things work correctly. There is a specification for initscripts that
describes how dependencies work. insserv can help identifie
non-compliant scripts and visualize the order of things. Changing how
certain init scripts exit can help the dependency situation as well.
Debians /etc/init.d/rc makes sure that each concurrent service set is
run in order based on it's priority number. So all processes with a 20
priority are executed in parallel.

It's fun stuff but it can set you up for issues in the future when you
install new packages.

There's lots of neat new init scripts out there that attempt to figure
out dependency information correctly without modifying the boot order.
There were some very promising ones a few years ago. I'm sorta sad that
they aren't more widely adopted. Heck I don't even use em cause I guess
I don't mind the boot times.

Shane

Jim Gribbin wrote:
> I started to look into this for my laptop running Fedora 10, but I think
> 10 is already making us of this. I now it boots considerably faster than
> it did running 8.
>
> After reading this article on Linux.com, I opted not to push things.
>
> http://www.linux.com/feature/53613
>
> Apparently there is a potential issue with this technique in that it's
> possible that a process that a subsequently initiated process in the
> start-up que depends on isn't finished starting yet and can throw the
> entire boot process out of whack.
>
> Just some food for thought before one goes running off half cocked.
>
> Jim G
>
> On Tue, 2009-01-20 at 21:51 -0900, Robert Crowe wrote:
>> CONCURRENCY=none

-- File: signature.asc
-- Desc: OpenPGP digital signature