[aklug] Re: HOWTO: Send free text messages through email

From: Royce Williams <royce@alaska.net>
Date: Fri Dec 12 2008 - 06:58:46 AKST

Joshua J. Kugler wrote, on 12/11/2008 11:35 AM:
> On Thursday 11 December 2008, Royce Williams said something like:
> <SNIP lots of interesting info>
>
>> If you're desperate and Teleflip doesn't know, you can also look up
>> what their carrier is by the first 7 digits of their 10-digit:
>>
>> http://www.fonefinder.net/
>
> How does fonefinder deal with number portability?
>
> 907-555-1212 could be on AT&T and
> 907-555-1213 could be on ACS if the user has kept their number from one
> service or another.

Hmm. Good point. Putting on my pie-in-the-sky hat, and totally
Making Things Up, at the voice-call level, I think that since LNP
still has a 'home' location, the call setup would first find itself at
the home location, and then get redirected.

So if that's the way that the voice system works, and if Fonefinder
isn't just working from a static dump of the 'routing table' (for lack
of a better vocabulary word; I'm out of my element here) but rather
from a dynamic (or at least dumped-often) version of that table, then
they could easily handle LNP and give you the new home of that number.
 We'd need to find someone with a 'ported' number to test that.

If that's the case on the voice level, maybe that's how SMS might
work, too - the Right Way would be for the home SMS gateway to
forward the message to the new home. I know that SMS has a similar
'where is everybody' table somewhere. But that's mere extrapolation
from how the voice side probably works.

You've got me curious now; I'll ask some of the guys at work who
actually do this stuff. :-)

Royce

--
Royce D. Williams                                   - http://royce.ws/