[aklug] Re: HOWTO: Send free text messages through email

From: Robert Crowe <crowe.robert@gmail.com>
Date: Thu Dec 11 2008 - 13:52:10 AKST

Source: Teleflip Has Flipped For Good - GigaOM
Address : http://gigaom.com/2008/08/12/teleflip-has-flipped-for-good/
"We've gone as far as we can with our financial resources, and *the piggy
> bank is empty*. *Effective Friday, August 15, 2008, at 9:00AM* Pacific
> Daylight Time, Flipmail will no longer be operating for either public or
> private use, and will be turned off at that time. We are sorry for any
> inconvenience this may cause you, however our other *popular email to text
> service, Flipout*, will remain functioning."

I think Flipout is gone also, at least the web-site doesn't come up. Argh!
Should've did more research before posting. But I did find this this
morning:

After a pulled-back launch back in late October, Google has re-released SMS
> capabilities in Gmail Chat.
> It's still an "experimental feature" in Gmail Labs, but presumably after
> the false start it'll actually work this time—in the U.S., anyway. Googler
> Leo Dirac writes:*quote: *
> We're just trying it out for cell phones in the United States right now,
> but you can send texts to your friends with US phone numbers from anywhere
> in the world. You can start by just typing a phone number or into the search
> box in the chat window on the left, then select "Send SMS." You can also
> select the contact you want to SMS first and then add their phone number.

LifeHacker: Gmail Labs Gets SMS in Chat Again--For Real This
Time<http://lifehacker.com/5107072/gmail-labs-gets-sms-in-chat-again++for-real-this-time>Still-this
wasn't a total waste, never knew about fonefinder...

--
"Listen to me! When you die in Alaska you die in real life!"
"Change before you have to"