[aklug] Re: diffs on ubuntu install cds?

From: David Prentice <ak.prentice@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Nov 12 2008 - 14:09:42 AKST

I didn't think about XFCE on the alternate CD, since my preference is to
install Xubuntu anyways. Not that my laptop is all that underpowered (AMD
dualcore clocking 1.6ghz/ea), but XFCE is screaming fast.
My Ubuntu-fu is a stock amd64 Ubuntu, apt-get a heap-o-stuff as per "Perfect
Desktop" article, unlock proposed and backports to upgrade to OOO3.0 without
borking the ubuntu-desktop package, and then apt-get xubuntu-desktop on
top of everything. Takes about an hour at home to install and apt-get all of
that, and another couple minutes to tweak and profile it all. Even with all
that sludge its only a 6gb install, and XFCE is still noticably faster to
load and crisper to use than Gnome.

So, yeah, I hadn't noticed that the alternate CD has XFCE. But it is very
cool that it does.

Hey, if we had a line on some cheap 1gb thumbdrives it would be awesome to
preload them with the USB boot option in Ubuntu 8.10. My favorite stick
right now is of the Xubuntu 8.10 i386 install, but Mint has RC1 of their
8.10-spinoff so my opinion may change rapidly.