[aklug] Re: diffs on ubuntu install cds?

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Wed Nov 12 2008 - 14:25:17 AKST

Quoting David Prentice <ak.prentice@gmail.com>:

> I didn't think about XFCE on the alternate CD, since my preference is to
> install Xubuntu anyways. Not that my laptop is all that underpowered (AMD
> dualcore clocking 1.6ghz/ea), but XFCE is screaming fast.
> My Ubuntu-fu is a stock amd64 Ubuntu, apt-get a heap-o-stuff as per "Perfe=
ct
> Desktop" article, unlock proposed and backports to upgrade to OOO3.0 witho=
ut
> borking the ubuntu-desktop package, and then apt-get xubuntu-desktop on
> top of everything. Takes about an hour at home to install and apt-get all =
of
> that, and another couple minutes to tweak and profile it all. Even with al=
> that sludge its only a 6gb install, and XFCE is still noticably faster to
> load and crisper to use than Gnome.
>
> So, yeah, I hadn't noticed that the alternate CD has XFCE. But it is very
> cool that it does.
>
> Hey, if we had a line on some cheap 1gb thumbdrives it would be awesome to
> preload them with the USB boot option in Ubuntu 8.10. My favorite stick
> right now is of the Xubuntu 8.10 i386 install, but Mint has RC1 of their
> 8.10-spinoff so my opinion may change rapidly.

Now that I think of it...I've been downloading Xubuntu also....so my =20
xfce reference may be incorrect. But I think because of the memory =20
issues, it does use XFCE.

David,

Think you could put together the thumb drive version in such a way =20
that if someone had a thumbdrive, we could just create a partition on =20
the thumbdrive and copy it to it?

I'm not sure it would work that easy, but it would be great to do that.

Mike B.