[aklug] Re: Debian sources.list examples

From: Christopher Howard <choward@indicium.us>
Date: Fri Oct 03 2008 - 09:49:37 AKDT

James Zuelow wrote:
> On Thursday 02 October 2008 16:49:18 Christopher Howard wrote:
>
>> Are there any Debian fans on this list?
>> I recently switched my main desktop PC over to Debian. Pretty happy
>> with Debian so far. However, the default sources.list file for apt only
>> had something like two entries, so I have been busy finding repos and
>> learning how to configure them.
>>
> Usually you just need the official Debian stuff and debian-multimedia to pull in things that Debian can't distribute like DVD watching stuff. I only use special repositories for special tasks -- pulling OpenNMS packages from OpenNMS' repository, etc.
>
>> Everything I've added so far has been from the official list -- stable
>> and testing branches, aside from one unofficial site. But I'm still
>> missing a number of packages like Celestia, Mozilla Sunbird, and even
>> Java RTEs beyond version 5. (Prob due to my misconfiguration.)
>>

> Celestia is in Lenny's main, so I'm not sure why you're not seeing it.
>
> Mozilla has trademark restrictions on their logo that prevents Debian from backporting patches to older versions of their software. So Debian renamed everything and builds from source without the logo. Sunbird is IceOwl in Debian. Looks like it is in etch-backports and Sid. I'm not sure why Lenny doesn't have a build.
>
> Add contrib and non-free at the end of your current apt sources to get Java 6. Java 6 is in non-free. I think there's some issue with Sun's EULA that puts it there.
>

>> Would any Debian users be willing to send me their sources.list files?
>> Found plenty of example lists on the Internet -- but most are at least
>> two years old. Any personal suggestions on what to embrace/avoid would
>> also be appreciated.
>>
> From your comments above I guess you're running Etch and pulling some packages from Lenny. I wouldn't recommend doing that. You'll end up pulling down so many Lenny libraries over time that it would be easier to just use Lenny in the first place. If you use Etch, use etch-backports instead so you're using the same libraries, or else just use Lenny.
>
> ---Lenny---
> deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free
>

> deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main contrib non-free
>
> deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ lenny main
> -------------
>
> ---Etch---
> deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ etch main contrib non-free
> deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ etch main contrib non-free
>
> deb http://security.debian.org/ etch/updates main contrib non-free
>
> deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org/ etch main
>
> deb http://www.backports.org/debian etch-backports main contrib non-free

Thanks for the help everyone. I think James was right -- I was trying
to mix too many sources.
I had heard about Iceweasel and Icedove, but I didn't know what the new
name for Sunbird was. IceOwl installed fine.

Somebody asked why I was attracted to Debian. A few reasons:
1) Heard it was a very stable distro.
2) The net-install option is pretty cool. Customizing is important to
me -- and I like quick access to all the options, including a simple
base install. I think I'll switch my web server over to Debian later
this week.
3) Debian seems like an "unassuming" distro. It forced me to
configure/install some things myself which other distros set beforehand
-- thus helping me become familiar with my system. This is more of the
direction I want to go in learning Linux.
4) Became a fan of apt-style package management (as opposed to my early
background in RPM-based distros).

Question:
Is Lenny released? Soon to be released? I read something on the
Internet that indicated the working release date was September 2008.

My Celestia package is in Lenny. But being a Debian newbie, I'm a bit
afraid to switch all my sources over to Lenny if it is not yet stable.

-- Type: text/x-vcard
-- File: choward.vcf