[aklug] Re: Debian sources.list examples

From: Greg Madden <gomadtroll@acsalaska.net>
Date: Fri Oct 03 2008 - 07:53:01 AKDT

On Thursday 02 October 2008, Christopher Howard wrote:
> Are there any Debian fans on this list?
> I recently switched my main desktop PC over to Debian. Pretty happy
> with Debian so far. However, the default sources.list file for apt
> only had something like two entries, so I have been busy finding repos
> and learning how to configure them.
>
> Everything I've added so far has been from the official list -- stable
> and testing branches, aside from one unofficial site. But I'm still
> missing a number of packages like Celestia, Mozilla Sunbird, and even
> Java RTEs beyond version 5. (Prob due to my misconfiguration.)
>
> Would any Debian users be willing to send me their sources.list files?
> Found plenty of example lists on the Internet -- but most are at least
> two years old. Any personal suggestions on what to embrace/avoid would
> also be appreciated.

I second what James has said. I keep it simple these days. I have enclosed
my sources.list. Substitute a mirror of your choice for Debian. I have
used netselect, in the past, to find the fastest mirror for me. I don't
build from source so if you do, add a sources entry.

deb http://192.168.0.4/debian/ lenny main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ lenny/updates main contrib non-free
deb http://www.debian-multimedia.org lenny main

--