[aklug] Re: information on MySQL cluster

From: Richard Moore <dewey.moore@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Aug 26 2008 - 07:31:38 AKDT

Well I was doing some research and found out that the NDB stores data
differently than the MyISAM. This is that for a varchar(50) in MyISAM it
only takes up as many bytes that you used in that record, for instance if
you 31 charactors the record size for that would be 32bytes of storage.
However in the NDB it would be 51bytes because it reserves 51 bytes per
record no matter how many charactors you actually use in the record. This
just means we have to slim down some of out UID's and UNIQUE KEYS, because
the database / web designer likes to have huge UID's and UNIQUE KEYS for
some odd reason. with the database I was trying to get put in I found the
UNIQUE KEY to be a varchar(100) but the most any record used was
21charactors, so I changed the table UID to be varchar(30) and I fit the
entire database in the cluster. Now I just have to go through all the other
databases and make sure that there are no hug UNIQUE KEYS or KEYS..

Richard Moore