[aklug] Re: information on MySQL cluster

From: Christopher E. Brown <cbrown@woods.net>
Date: Mon Aug 25 2008 - 01:40:55 AKDT

On Wed, 20 Aug 2008, Richard Moore wrote:

> I was wondering if anyone in the list has experience with MySQL cluster,
> other name would be NDBCLUSTER. I have the cluster set up and working
> perfectly, using disk data storage and everything. my question is however,
> if anyone knows a way to get UNIQUE KEYS to be stored in disk data storage,
> or a way to make them not take up so much space. I am currently testing the
> cluster for storage for our new ERP, as well as the storage for our DBMS. If
> there is no way of doing this I will just be putting 8 gigs of ram in each
> of the data nodes. My current configuration has 4 data nodes, 2 management
> nodes with the sql node on the management node. all of the computers are the
> same, they each have 250 gig hdd, with quad core processors, with 2 gigs of
> ram. We would be willing to spend the extra couple hundred dollars for 8
> gigs of ram for each of the data nodes if I cannot store the UNIQUE KEYS in
> the DISK DATA STORAGE.
>
> Richard Moore

Not at this point. Unique keys (specially the primary one) are the
selectors for the table, and are kept in memory for fast access. Disk
storage in an NDB cluser is mainly for secondary data, normally pulled as
part of a record(s) chosen based on one of the keys.

I suppose that (in theory) this could change, but I have not heard any
about it being planned.

I have seen discussions about adding to what can be stored on (instead of
just snap-shotted to) disk, but only for non-indexed fields.