[aklug] Re: Newbie-ish wireless router question

From: Jim MacDonald <jim@macdonald.org>
Date: Sat Aug 09 2008 - 05:34:14 AKDT

Chris,

I too have a little experience with this. I agree that you want a=20
Bridge. From the sounds of what you want to do, you are looking for=20
something that bridges the networks and allows you to do QOS over the=20
bridge. Linksys makes several products that are excellent for this and=20
they even have Power over Ethernet so you can power them straight off=20
the Ethernet switch.=20

If your having range issues, you may want to look at some of the Open=20
Source Linux based firmware packages for the Linksys routers that allow=20
you to greatly increase their range to commercial proportions. When=20
CISCO took over Linksys one of the first things they did was change the=20
chip sets in the boards of their routers to a common CISCO chip set that =

is also used in commercial wireless access points. They then installed=20
firmware that limited the range to an acceptable residential value. The=20
Linux firmware removes this restriction and allows you to take a=20
cheapish home router and give it commercial router range (I have heard=20
of people cover square miles of area with a wrt-54g type router)

hope this helps.

Jim MacDonald

Corey Weiss wrote:
> Hey Chris,
> I have had a little experience with this, and from the founds of this, =
you might need to find out if your router can be configured up as a netwo=
rk bridge as apposed to the wireless accesspoint mode. Some routers do a=
nd others don't. Depends on the router and firmware. There are also a f=
ew opensource projects that would probably allow you to set this up betwe=
en to *nix machines with decent wireless ethernet cards(preferably with a=
n external directional antena).
> =20
> My 2 cents,
> Corey> Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 11:44:58 -0800> From: choward@indicium.us>=
 To: aklug@aklug.org> Subject: [aklug] Newbie-ish wireless router questio=
n> > I hope this isn't too dumb of a question. But I haven't had much > e=
xperience with wireless networks, as I've used Ethernet here at home > fo=
r so long. (It's like a tropical rain forest of Cat-5 cables here in > my=
 room.)> Any two wireless routers can be configured to talk to each other=
, > right? You see, I'm planning to set up wireless routers in two separa=
te > buildings on our property. I recently got DSL in one of the building=
s. > I want to buy two wireless routers, and configure one to act as a > =
gateway for the other.> > I don't simply want to extend the wireless cove=
rage to the other > building. I'd like each building to have hard line an=
d wireless > access. And I'd like to be able to put each building on a se=
parate > subnet, play around with firewalls and traffic shaping, and such=
 like.> > I just thought I'd double check b
> efore I bought anything.> > > > > > > > -- Binary/unsupported file str=
ipped by Ecartis --> -- Type: text/x-vcard> -- File: choward.vcf> > > ---=
------> To unsubscribe, send email to <aklug-request@aklug.org>> with 'un=
subscribe' in the message body.>=20