[aklug] : Newbie-ish wireless router question

From: Thomison, Lee <ThomisonL@muni.org>
Date: Mon Aug 11 2008 - 08:35:25 AKDT

There's some good information scattered throughout the aklug archives on th=
is topic. Most of it is probably still relevant.

Couple of things come immediately to mind:

1. I've used dd-wrt and Tomato in my routers. Both work well. FWIW, I cu=
rrently favour Tomato.

2. I've been forced to conclude that the 'power' setting touted is not=
 nearly as relevant as the transmission path (antennae, coax and connector)=
 used. Something everyone on the web said but I didn't want to believe, si=
nce antennae fall suspiciously close to the 'black magic' sacrifice-a-chick=
en areas of technology.

3. Before spending money on real boxen, do your homework. Mfrs are pretty=
 cavalier about model numbers. Pay particular attention to version numbers=
 and FCC IDs to be sure the firmware you choose will work with the hardware=
.