[aklug] Re: Newbie-ish wireless router question

From: Corey Weiss <pcland98@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri Aug 08 2008 - 13:44:02 AKDT

Hey Chris,
I have had a little experience with this, and from the founds of this, you might need to find out if your router can be configured up as a network bridge as apposed to the wireless accesspoint mode. Some routers do and others don't. Depends on the router and firmware. There are also a few opensource projects that would probably allow you to set this up between to *nix machines with decent wireless ethernet cards(preferably with an external directional antena).

My 2 cents,
Corey> Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 11:44:58 -0800> From: choward@indicium.us> To: aklug@aklug.org> Subject: [aklug] Newbie-ish wireless router question> > I hope this isn't too dumb of a question. But I haven't had much > experience with wireless networks, as I've used Ethernet here at home > for so long. (It's like a tropical rain forest of Cat-5 cables here in > my room.)> Any two wireless routers can be configured to talk to each other, > right? You see, I'm planning to set up wireless routers in two separate > buildings on our property. I recently got DSL in one of the buildings. > I want to buy two wireless routers, and configure one to act as a > gateway for the other.> > I don't simply want to extend the wireless coverage to the other > building. I'd like each building to have hard line and wireless > access. And I'd like to be able to put each building on a separate > subnet, play around with firewalls and traffic shaping, and such like.> > I just thought I'd double check before I bought anything.> > > > >