[aklug] Re: OpenWRT

From: Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com>
Date: Wed May 21 2008 - 14:06:01 AKDT

On Wednesday 21 May 2008, Mike Tibor said something like:
> On Wed, 21 May 2008, Joshua J. Kugler wrote:
> > On Wednesday 21 May 2008, Joshua J. Kugler said something like:
> >> SIGH!!! Why sis the AKLUG list the only one I subscribe to that
> >> message=3D20 up my newlines and characters like "equals." In
> >> those URLs above,=3D20 replace all the EQUAL3D with the equals
> >> character, and they should be=3D20 OK. I'm using KMail with plain
> >> text messages.=20 Anyone know why my=3D20 e-mails are getting
> >> butchered?
> >
> > Yup, I was frustrated and didn't proof read. "messes up" not
> > "message=20 up."=20
>
> Over the years I've noticed that it seems to happen only to KMail
> users (if someone knows otherwise, please speak up). If I remember
> right, I thought someone had mentioned that it comes from a
> particular KMail setting, though I may be wrong.
>
> It may be worth searching the archives.

OK, I changed "quoted printable" to "Allow 8-bit." We'll see what
happens, see if I can put == (equals) and -- (dashes) in without it
being messed up.

Now, I would *assume* that K-Mail properly identifies when it's going to
use quoted printable. Might the mailing list software not understand
this? The messages from the mailing list software
say "Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit" If the mailing list software
does not properly parse the quoted printable characters, and then
blindly sets the encoding to 8bit, might that point to a flaw in
Ecartis (I think that's it) and not in Kmail?

Joshua Kugler
Part-Time System Admin/Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0xDB26D7CE