[aklug] Re: Blackberry & SyncML

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Fri Apr 11 2008 - 18:14:56 AKDT

Mike,

I spent a lot of time a couple of months ago attempting to get SyncML
working on my Motorola V3 through Cellular One. Never was successful.

I did get it working with Thunderbird and a couple SyncML providers.
ScheduleWorld, Funambol, and Goosync.

When I attempted talking to tech support at Cellular One, they would not
even admit to having ever heard the term SyncML. They did emphatically
deny there were doing anything to block it and gave me a contact number
for Motorola's tech support. This, even though they have (or at least
had) in their advertising on their website that their phones (most of
them) had this capability as a feature.

When I emailed Motorola (actually I tried calling first) They first kept
talking like I was looking for support on the software package they sell
for the phone. Motorola Phone Tools or MPT.

I finally had to complain bitterly that they were not reading my support
requests in line 1 of the email and that I was not looking for support
for MPT as I have it and it was working fine.

They then proceeded to tell me that I was asking for support for a 3rd
party software package and that I would have to talk to whomever I got
the package from. This continued until I enclosed a link to a copy of
the manual for my phone that described the instructions for SyncML that
was available on their website.

They then told me the problem still wasn't their's and I would have to
my carrier. When I protested that I had already asked my carrier for
assistance, they told me to just go away. Literally..

The point of all this is, don't count on getting it working from Alaska.
I think the problem was timeout issues related to the providers
cellular/internet inter-connection system.

Maybe you'll be more successful with the Blackberry. It uses Edge
whereas my V3 uses GPRS. Edge is, theoretically anyway, twice as fast.

Jim G