[aklug] Re: Munkeys can setup a bind DNS server

From: Arthur Corliss <acorliss@nevaeh-linux.org>
Date: Wed Mar 26 2008 - 14:58:06 AKDT

On Wed, 26 Mar 2008, dhull wrote:

> I don't know what GCI is doing for DNS. I'm guessing their doing something extra. Either that or they have know idea how to setup DNS.
>
> 1. Install Linux
> 2. Install BIND9
> 3. Done!
>
> That's all it takes. By default BIND is a cashing name server. With a setup that's that simple there's no excuse for broken DNS.

You're speaking out of your depth, Damien. A monkey can set up a DNS server
that's still vulnerable to DNS cache poisoning and acting as an open
recursive DNS server.

A properly trained monkey, however, will set up their DNS with ACLs so that
only their net blocks can use them for resolving queries. I'm willing to
bet that if I examined your configuration I could point out lots of problems
with your setup.

Don't start slinging aspersions until you know for certain your monkey is
house broken. And knows how to use a spell checker.

         --Arthur Corliss
           Live Free or Die