[aklug] Re: Munkeys can setup a bind DNS server

From: Leif Sawyer <lsawyer@gci.com>
Date: Wed Mar 26 2008 - 15:07:24 AKDT

It's true, too.

For instance, which party caused this issue?

# now, this looks correct:

lobby:~# dig google.com
; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> google.com
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 46155 ;; flags: qr
rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 3, AUTHORITY: 4, ADDITIONAL: 4

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;google.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
google.com. 146 IN A 64.233.187.99
google.com. 146 IN A 72.14.207.99
google.com. 146 IN A 64.233.167.99

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
google.com. 279878 IN NS ns1.google.com.
google.com. 279878 IN NS ns2.google.com.
google.com. 279878 IN NS ns3.google.com.
google.com. 279878 IN NS ns4.google.com.

But for www.google.com, the Authoritative Nameservers were reported as
JOMAX.NET

lobby:~# dig www.google.com

; <<>> DiG 9.2.4 <<>> www.google.com
;; global options: printcmd
;; Got answer:
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY, status: NOERROR, id: 17930 ;; flags: qr
rd ra; QUERY: 1, ANSWER: 1, AUTHORITY: 2, ADDITIONAL: 0

;; QUESTION SECTION:
;www.google.com. IN A

;; ANSWER SECTION:
www.google.com. 60 IN A 63.251.179.54

;; AUTHORITY SECTION:
www.google.com. 65535 IN NS WSC2.JOMAX.NET.
www.google.com. 65535 IN NS WSC1.JOMAX.NET.=20

So, who the heck is jomax.net, and why are they trying to steal=20
google's traffic?

The world may never know.

But anybody with dig and whois at their disposal would be able
to find this out and see that it's happening outside their sphere of
control.