[aklug] Growing the organization

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Mon Feb 25 2008 - 21:16:11 AKST

So some of you are wondering...OK, great Barsalou, how the heck are we
going to get folks interested in Linux?

Unfortunately, I don't have any fantastic answers. But I do know
this.....folks won't come if they don't know about us.

It seems that whenever I'm talking with someone about Linux, I ask them
if they have ever heard of AKLUG, and generally, the answer is no.

Correcting this one fundamental issue, would go a long way to growing
our organization.

So how to we do that?

I personally like two different approaches:

- Mass delivery of flyers
- One on one conversations

Mass delivery of flyers offers a real easy way that anyone within the
organization can participate. Grab a stack of flyers, put them in
computer stores, at schools, in the local Fred Meyers, at places of
congregation on base.

One on one is a little more time committment but is far more effective
at delivering a quality message.

I'm interested in promoting the Friday Night Linux, however, I have a
concern that we might not be able to always be available on Friday
Nights. I personally have committed to once a month on the second
Friday of the month.

Others regularly show up on Friday's but I'm never definitely sure from
one week to the next if things are going to happen. Maybe I'm worrying
needlessly.

So for now, I'm going to put out some flyers for the Monthly meeting
and when talking to folks, I'll mention Friday Night Linux.

If we get folks to commit to always showing up on Friday's, it makes
good sense to start promoting that we some sort of flyer as well.

I'm open to more ideas, but whatever we do next, it should be about
getting our name out there and promoting Linux and Open Source.

Mike B.