[aklug] Re: Network Set Up Project

From: Bob Cortez <rjcortez@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Feb 19 2008 - 18:51:11 AKST

I'm happy to report that I've made great progress. All of the machines are
on-line, can read other machines shared folders/devices including printing
to a HP printer/fax/scanner connected to an Ubuntu box. I can also control
the three other Ubuntu boxes using VNC through a Terminal Server Client..
Using the utilities for the D-link router made the process much easier. The
time I've spent reading and learning is what allowed me to understand what I
was doing with those utilities and why however. So this has been a good
process for me to go through, and I thank you all for the help.
Things still to be done.

1) I want to access these three windows boxes with VNC to allow me to
operate them remotely (within the network).

Windows XP
Windows 2000 Professional
Windwos XP (dual boot with Ubuntu 7.1)

Any suggestions ?

2) I have set the three Ubuntu boxes to auto boot up a user so that I can
restart the box remotely and still be able to reconnect. I'd rather require
a password. On the dual boot machines, in order to switch OS I have to be
able to make a selection during the Grub boot up process.

 What do I need to use - know - do to allow me to gain control of the remote
box during the boot up process?

3) I'd like to enable the workstations to send faxes

4) Security. I'm not concerned with security within the network. The
network is behind the router firewall, I just want to make sure that I have
that firewall set up correctly and if I need to do more.

Thanks for the cisecurity.org link John. It helped me to think through
what the priority should be for me.

Bob.