[aklug] Re: Network Set Up Project

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Tue Feb 12 2008 - 17:11:34 AKST

Quoting Bob Cortez <rjcortez@gmail.com>:

<snip>

> I want to stop using windows networks, but for a variety of reasons I can't
> eliminate the windows os on several of these boxes. Other than that, yes
> that's what I want to do.

It's OK. we can still work with the Windows boxes.

<snip>

>> The computer that I want everyone able to access is the Media Center, so
> that is the one that I should start with. I have Ubuntu installed with
> Gnome so I'm thinking that's what you are talking about for a GUI. So I
> guess my first step will be to download and install Samba on that machine.

OK. That is what you'd want to to...install samba server on that machine.

<snip>

> I have an older Dell Optiplex G1 that I'm considering using for the printer
> only box, because it will fit nicely under the printer without losing any
> desk space. If I do that, I want to install just the bare minimum needed
> for those tasks. Any suggestions for that? I'm probably not going to get
> into that until this weekend when my sons are here to help with moving
> equipment and cables.

That's fine.

> Lastly, I'd set up a machine as a workstation, keeping in mind that the
>> other workstations are going to be somewhat similar.
>

> That will be my laptop first. What do I need to do to set it up as a
> workstation?

Nothing really special...it'd need a samba client, but most probably
already installed on your workstation.

We are making an assumption here that most of your infrastructure is in
place. You already have a DHCP server, your using your ISP for DNS
resolution.

We may need to create your own local DNS server, but we can obviate
some of the complexity of that by modifying host files by hand until
you get the base system working...really depends on your comfort level.

I'd say just keep plugging along and start throwing questions at the list.

Mike B.