[aklug] Network Set Up Project

From: Bob Cortez <rjcortez@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Feb 12 2008 - 16:38:07 AKST

Doh... forgot reply all
Thanks Mike,

More below

On Feb 12, 2008 2:31 PM, barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net> wrote:

> Quoting Bob Cortez <rjcortez@gmail.com>:
>
> <snip hardware list>
>
> Bob,
>
> Thanks for the hardware list...a good start.
>
> Here is what it seems like you want to do:
>
> - stop using windows at all
> - configure printer to be used by all users
> - configure an incoming fax connection to all users
> - give all users access to the internet
> - all users should be able save and share files on at least one of the
> machines
>
> Did I miss anything?

I want to stop using windows networks, but for a variety of reasons I can't
eliminate the windows os on several of these boxes. Other than that, yes
that's what I want to do.

> If I were doing this, I'd setup the machine that was going to be the
> file storage first. For this you'd probably need:
>
> - Some way to manage it (command line, Linux Gui or Web Gui)
> - Samba (to share files)
> - Depending on your choice above, packages to support your decision.
>
> The computer that I want everyone able to access is the Media Center, so
that is the one that I should start with. I have Ubuntu installed with
Gnome so I'm thinking that's what you are talking about for a GUI. So I
guess my first step will be to download and install Samba on that machine.

> Next you'd need to decide which machine the printer is going to work
> from...this is mostly driven by where the printer will live and what
> machine is nearby it.

I have an older Dell Optiplex G1 that I'm considering using for the printer
only box, because it will fit nicely under the printer without losing any
desk space. If I do that, I want to install just the bare minimum needed
for those tasks. Any suggestions for that? I'm probably not going to get
into that until this weekend when my sons are here to help with moving
equipment and cables.

Lastly, I'd set up a machine as a workstation, keeping in mind that the
> other workstations are going to be somewhat similar.

That will be my laptop first. What do I need to do to set it up as a
workstation?

Thanks,

Bob