[aklug] Re: Network Set Up Project

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Tue Feb 12 2008 - 14:31:57 AKST

Quoting Bob Cortez <rjcortez@gmail.com>:

<snip hardware list>

Bob,

Thanks for the hardware list...a good start.

Here is what it seems like you want to do:

- stop using windows at all
- configure printer to be used by all users
- configure an incoming fax connection to all users
- give all users access to the internet
- all users should be able save and share files on at least one of the
machines

Did I miss anything?

If I were doing this, I'd setup the machine that was going to be the
file storage first. For this you'd probably need:

- Some way to manage it (command line, Linux Gui or Web Gui)
- Samba (to share files)
- Depending on your choice above, packages to support your decision.

Next you'd need to decide which machine the printer is going to work
from...this is mostly driven by where the printer will live and what
machine is nearby it.

There are other ways to solve that, but given your not going to buy
more hardware, that seems the best way to go.

Lastly, I'd set up a machine as a workstation, keeping in mind that the
other workstations are going to be somewhat similar.

This is a good start and narrows down issues that you don't need to be
concerned about at this point.

Others will follow with more and better info.

Mike B.