[aklug] Network Set Up Project

From: Bob Cortez <rjcortez@gmail.com>
Date: Tue Feb 12 2008 - 14:05:01 AKST

My home network is a hodge-podge of hardware, operating systems, software,
and networks. I'd like to start from scratch and configure a single network
and eliminate the remnants of the windows networks already set up. I've
been working on this on my own for a couple of weeks now and I think I'm
getting further away rather than closer to my goal. The tutorials that I've
found have just added to my confusion.
As I was preparing to post to this list I got the idea of making this into
an aklug project. I will document all the steps we take to finish the
project and write it up to post on the aklug web site for others to use as a
guide. Because of the wide array of hardware, software and permissions I
think this could be valuable not only to home users but small businesses as
well. Here is a breakdown of what I have and what I would like to do.

Internet
ACS DSL Internet
DI-524 AirPlus G 802.11g/2.4GHz Wireless Router 4 ports
Dynex 5 Port 10/100 Ethernet Switch

Printing
USB Connection
HP OfficeJet_J5700 Printer, Scanner, Copier, Fax
Currently plugged into Win 2000 box
Want to connect to new ubuntu box accessible by all through network.
Ideally all users would be able to use all features from their desktop.
Automatic in coming fax detection?

Media Center Computer
wired connection
Dual boot Win XP/Ubuntu 7.1
Two Internal 80g hds
One external 80g hd
Connected to wide screen tv and surround sound system.
Want read/write access to all files/drives for all users.
Ability to control some applications and drives from users desktop
(Rhthymbox, Mplayer, CD Creator)
No keyboard or mouse.

Administrator's laptop (that's me)
Wireless Connection
Dual boot Vista/Ubuntu 7.1
want admin/root access to all computers in network.
ability to lock out users and control their desktop.
password protected share folder

Desktop 1
wired connection
Ubuntu 7.1
User access to print and media boxes.
This is a friends computer that is staying with me. I want to be able to
access and control his computer when he moves out.
password protected share folder

Desktop 2
wired connection
Win XP
User access to print and media boxes.
password protected share folder

Desktop 3
wired connection
Win 2000 Professsional
User access to print and media boxes.
password protected share folder

Printer Desktop
wired connection
no monitor/mouse/keyboard
Ubuntu 7.1 - Server addition?
accessible from all in network
save, share and store documents

So is this something that you think might be a worthwhile undertaking as a
way to develop a tutorial for home and small business network creation and
administration?

Anyone interested? If so, where do I start?