[aklug] Re: Document Imaging on Linux

From: Greg Madden <gomadtroll@acsalaska.net>
Date: Sat Feb 09 2008 - 20:29:10 AKST

On Saturday 09 February 2008, Anthony Valentine wrote:
> Does anyone know of any Document Imaging software for Linux?
>
> I am looking for something that I can use to scan in my personal paper
> documents (bills, receipts, warranty forms, tax documents, etc). I
> don't need anything elaborate, just some way to keep track of it all
> and let me be able to easily search through.
>
> I'd rather use a package that is already written, then roll my own.

I use xsane to scan paper thzt comes into my office. It is an older
program, been around a while.

KDE has Kooka;

Package: kooka
Section: graphics
Installed-Size: 1184
Maintainer: Debian Qt/KDE Maintainers <debian-qt-kde@lists.debian.org>
Architecture: i386
Source: kdegraphics
Version: 4:3.5.7-4+lenny1
Depends: kdelibs4c2a (>= 4:3.5.8-1), libc6 (>= 2.6-1), libgcc1 (>=
1:4.2.1), libjpeg62, libkscan1 (>= 4:3.5.5-1), libqt3-mt (>= 3:3.3.7),
libstdc++6 (>= 4.2.1), libtiff4, zlib1g (>= 1:1.2.3.3.dfsg-1)
Recommends: ocrad | gocr
Suggests: khelpcenter
 Kooka is an open source GNU/Linux scan program based on SANE and
 KScan library.
 .
 Kooka helps you to handle the most important scan parameters, find the
 correct image file format to save and manage your scanned images. It
 offers support for different OCR modules. Libkscan, a autonomous part
 of Kooka, provides a scan service for easy and consistent use to all
 KDE applications.
 .
 Install ocrad or gocr if you wish to enable optical character recognition
 in kooka.
 .
 This package is part of KDE, as a component of the KDE graphics module.
 See the 'kde' and 'kdegraphics' packages for more information.
 .
 Homepage: http://kooka.kde.org/
Tag: accessibility::ocr, hardware::scanner, interface::x11, role::program,
suite::kde, uitoolkit::qt, works-with::{image,image:raster,text},
x11::application

Looks like it uses the Sane libraries. I have not tried the OCR packages
mentioned. I like Xsane because it allows me to create my own directory
structure, Kooka has a fixed path. Gnome has a similar scaning app.

--
Peace
Gregory C. Madden