[aklug] Re: Document Imaging on Linux

From: Jim Gribbin <jimgribbin@gmail.com>
Date: Sun Feb 10 2008 - 23:01:43 AKST

I have used xSane quite a bit and like it, but it isn't set up to scan
to a pdf (which VueScan does)

I mostly use VueScan from www.hamrick.com. Not free, but inexpensive and
they have the same software available for Windoze, Mac and Linux. For
many of of items I'm scanning, pdf is just more convenient. xSane
prefers tiff and the developers of Sane/xSane seemed to have political
issues with people wanting scan to pdf the last time I looked (tiff is
THE standard for documents and the only way to go). VueScan also seems
to have one of the more comprehensive set-ups for scanning photos and
the like.

I'm not aware of any Linux scanning setups that catalog documents for
you the way some of the Windoze programs do. The most useful one I've
found in the Windoze world is the stuff from Visioneer. Probably the
most proprietary set-up out there, but it works better than anything
else I've ever found for setting up the elusive "Paperless Office".

You could also check out DjVu @
http://djvu.sourceforge.net/http://djvu.sourceforge.net/, but I suspect
this may be a little over the top for what you're looking for.