[aklug] Re: February Monthly Meeting

From: <jonr@destar.net>
Date: Tue Jan 29 2008 - 09:35:59 AKST

Quoting Greg Madden <pabi@gci.net>:

> On Monday 28 January 2008, barsalou wrote:
>> A couple of folks from the group asked me to put together a
>> presentation for the February Monthly meeting.
>>
>> My choice of topic is VMware player. To tie into the presentation my
>> daughter did, I'll demonstrate the XO laptop image.
>>
>> Additionally, we'll talk about some of the other virtualization
>> technologies.
>>
>> If there is anything particular folks would like to know, just send me
>> a note and I'll try to cover it.
>>
>> Mike B.
>
> It has been a while since I looked at FOSS solutions for virtualization. I
> have used Vmware for years as my Windows box so I haven't felt compelled
> to move to a FOSS solution. Virtual box looks do-able.
>

> I would like to know which virtual technologies support a gui, i.e.
> Windows.
>
> 'I have a box running a Xen kernel + from Debian, they are no gui vm's.
> In Debian an easy setup, I am not volunteering to demonstrate at the
> moment :-)
>

> --
> Greg Madden
> ---------

Xen runs a gui, well, sort of. Really the virtual machine inside of =20
the dom0 can run a gui. Once you have xen setup you then create your =20
domU's(VirtualMachines), these are just regular Linux installs of =20
whatever distro you want to use. You would set them up the same way =20
you would if you were putting it on a box by itself. Xen, with the =20
newer processors that have hardware virtualization on the cpu can even =20
run windows. I have one server with 3 installs of linux and 2 installs =20
of windows, one XP and one server2k3. I can access the windows boxes =20
using the rdp protocol.

Hope that helps,

Jon