Peices n parts questions

From: Kurt Brendgard <brendgard@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon Nov 12 2007 - 17:11:40 AKST

OK, you're all gonna think I'm off my rocker for this
one, but it's all I got to work with.

I was given an old Acer desktop that I've decided to
try and turn into a fileserver because I desperatly
need one. It's about maxed out with 256 megs of RAM,
an AMD K6-2 266 MHZ, and a 2 gig HD. I've already
pulled out the modem, and I think the sound is turned
off. I want to add a firewire card for an external
case because the BIOS on this thing doesn't like
anything bigger than a 2 gig HD. I need something a
lot bigger. I also want to add a gigabit network
adapter if I can find one that will work with it.

What is absolutely essenstial is getting Samba set up,
and a GUI for when I need it. What would be extremely
nice to have is FTP as well. If I can use it with
Apache, PHP, MySQL, and phpMyAdmin, it would be nice,
but not essential. This is going to be behind at least
one firewall, possibly more. It's a trusted network, I
don't need a whole lot of security on this one other
than a password to keep out people who sit down at the
keyboard(and there will be few if any of them).

Has anybody any experience with these older systems
and firewire adapters and gigabit ethernet adpters?
Any that you might want to suggest, or suggest I stay
away from? Any particular flavor or version you might
suggest for something this old and what I want to do
with it? Any helpful sites?

Yea, I could sit down and research it out but I
thought why re invent the wheel if somebody has some
helpful insite/experience that could shave some time
off my project.

Thanks.