Re: Installing and using Xen

From: Jon Reynolds <jonr@destar.net>
Date: Sun Nov 04 2007 - 10:04:03 AKST

barsalou wrote:
> This weekend I had an opportunity to start playing around with Xen
> using CentOS 5.
>
> The very first thing I did was to set SELinux to permissive, because
> there was a good chance that this would get in the way if I'm not sure
> where things should go.
>
> Turns out that the default place to store images is in /var/lib/xen/images.
>
> The next thing I did was to try to install centos 5 on the Xen image.
>
> This was kind of wierd because even though I was using a file (instead
> of a partion) to store the xen image, it looked like I was going to
> delete the partition of the Host machine (or Dom0). Of course, this
> wasn't the case, but it was scary none the less.
>
> After that the beginning of the install went as expected. I choose a
> base server install, it told me which cd disks I would need to complete
> the install and starting putting stuff on the xen image. I was jazzed!
>
> Now it starting asking me for disk 2. So I pressed the eject button on
> the front of the machine and swapped the disks....oh oh, trouble. It
> didn't recognize the new disk 2. What a bummer.
>
> So, it doesn't seem possible to install centos5 off of regular CD's.
>
> I'm going to quit for now while I download the Centos5 DVD...all 3.5G of it.
>
> That should work just fine.

Couple of things to try, put all the cd's in your apache html directory
on you dom0 and do a network install. 2nd, read up on 'xm block detach'.
In your dom0 type 'xm --help' or something and it will give you some
info. Welcome to the wonderful world of Xen!!

--
perl -le "print scalar reverse qq/ten.ratsed\100rnoj/"