Installing and using Xen

From: barsalou <barjunk@attglobal.net>
Date: Sat Nov 03 2007 - 23:48:46 AKDT

This weekend I had an opportunity to start playing around with Xen
using CentOS 5.

The very first thing I did was to set SELinux to permissive, because
there was a good chance that this would get in the way if I'm not sure
where things should go.

Turns out that the default place to store images is in /var/lib/xen/images.

The next thing I did was to try to install centos 5 on the Xen image.

This was kind of wierd because even though I was using a file (instead
of a partion) to store the xen image, it looked like I was going to
delete the partition of the Host machine (or Dom0). Of course, this
wasn't the case, but it was scary none the less.

After that the beginning of the install went as expected. I choose a
base server install, it told me which cd disks I would need to complete
the install and starting putting stuff on the xen image. I was jazzed!

Now it starting asking me for disk 2. So I pressed the eject button on
the front of the machine and swapped the disks....oh oh, trouble. It
didn't recognize the new disk 2. What a bummer.

So, it doesn't seem possible to install centos5 off of regular CD's.

I'm going to quit for now while I download the Centos5 DVD...all 3.5G of it.

That should work just fine.

Mike B.