Re: ACS DSL

From: Royce Williams <royce@alaska.net>
Date: Thu Oct 04 2007 - 09:49:59 AKDT

Jim wrote, on 10/3/2007 11:18 PM:
> Been about a year, but I had no problem connecting behind a number of
> routers, first a Linksys, then I am not sure of the brand. They both set
> up with a web interface from Firefox, said nice things to the ACS box,
> and provided bandwidth. The only hassle was that the IP address kept
> changing, which was a pain. With GCI, I had the same address for 3 1/2
> years.

As I understand it, barring maintenance window reboots, IP changes
shouldn't happen very often (unless your connection is spotty). I'm
dynamic, and my IP doesn't change very often.

Of course, since ACSL DSL isn't DHCP, disconnecting for any reason
means that you'll probably get a new IP (unlike GCI, which will give
you the same IP as long as you're not gone longer than the length of
your DHCP lease).

What are/were you doing that relies on the IP address to be
predictable? From my experience, most needs can be addressed by using
one of the free dynamic-DNS providers (dyndns.org, etc.).

Royce

--
Royce D. Williams                                - IP Engineering, ACS
http://www.tycho.org/royce/                   - PGP: 3FC087DB/1776A531