Re: ACS DSL

From: Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com>
Date: Thu Oct 04 2007 - 09:38:22 AKDT

On Wednesday 03 October 2007 23:18, Jim wrote:
> Been about a year, but I had no problem connecting behind a number of
> routers, first a Linksys, then I am not sure of the brand. They both set
> up with a web interface from Firefox, said nice things to the ACS box,
> and provided bandwidth.

Yup, same here. I've done ACS DSL via an old Linksys box (802.11b wireless
router/switch), Roaring Penguin, and most recently, a Netgear FV114 (I think
that's the model). All work great.

> The only hassle was that the IP address kept
> changing, which was a pain. With GCI, I had the same address for 3 1/2
> years.

Yup...I agree. I think it's what, $5, $10/month for a static? I may have to
spring for that one of these days. In the mean time, dyndns works for me.
And as long as you don't disconnect (i.e. if your router is connected all the
time) you keep the same IP. Right now I have a box that's been connected
over 15 days. It happens.

Joshua Kugler
Lead System Admin -- Senior Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0xDB26D7CE
PO Box 80086 -- Fairbanks, AK 99708 -- Ph: 907-456-5581 Fax: 907-456-3111