Re: Alaska Gets A High Speed (OC-12) Connection to Internet2

From: Kurt Mathews <skidriprekah@gmail.com>
Date: Wed Oct 03 2007 - 10:42:50 AKDT

Comodity internet may not travel on that circuit, but it still has to go up
to Fairbanks for routing. It's awesome when construction work in Telkeetna
cuts an acs fiber and your backup line provider decided to make changes
without notifying their customers.
I wish UAA didn't have to send it's traffic north to send it south -_-

On 10/3/07, Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com> wrote:

> On Tuesday 02 October 2007 17:58, Bob Cortez wrote:
> > Probably not news to most of you, but this is the first I have heard of
> it.
> > The University of Washington and WCI Cable Inc. are very pleased to
> > announce that WCI Cable, in support of the cooperative Pacific/Northwest
> > Gigapop and national Internet 2 efforts, is providing to the UW a
> > state-of-the-art fiber optic connection from Seattle to the University
> of
> > Alaska Statewide System in Fairbanks, Alaska. This connection will use
> > high-speed "SONET OC-12" technology, and will bring the new Internet 2
> and
> > NGI (Next Generation Internet) capabilities and technologies to Alaska.
> It
> > will link the University of Alaska to the Pacific/Northwest Gigapop,
> which
> > is the major national (and only high speed) Internet 2 network hub for
> the
> > region, and is located in Seattle.
> > http://uwnews.org/article.asp?articleID=1570
>
> Hmm...when I read that, I thought, "Didn't we already have an OC-12?" (I
> was a
> UA student and/or employee for several years, so was in the
> networking "circles" for quite a while.) When I saw the date on the
> article:
> April 2, 1999. :) But it's still cool that we have it. Granted,
> commodity
> internet doesn't go over that link, but when you're on campus, and you're
> downloading from a mirror hosted on a university system, you can get
> *blazing* download speeds.

> --
> Joshua Kugler
> Lead System Admin -- Senior Programmer
> http://www.eeinternet.com
> PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/ ID 0xDB26D7CE
> PO Box 80086 -- Fairbanks, AK 99708 -- Ph: 907-456-5581 Fax: 907-456-3111

*     Kurt Mathews
*     axkim@uaa.alaska.edu
*     k@uaa.alaska.edu