Re: Alaska Gets A High Speed (OC-12) Connection to Internet2

From: Joshua J. Kugler <joshua@eeinternet.com>
Date: Wed Oct 03 2007 - 10:24:48 AKDT

On Tuesday 02 October 2007 17:58, Bob Cortez wrote:
> Probably not news to most of you, but this is the first I have heard of it.
> The University of Washington and WCI Cable Inc. are very pleased to
> announce that WCI Cable, in support of the cooperative Pacific/Northwest
> Gigapop and national Internet 2 efforts, is providing to the UW a
> state-of-the-art fiber optic connection from Seattle to the University of
> Alaska Statewide System in Fairbanks, Alaska. This connection will use
> high-speed "SONET OC-12" technology, and will bring the new Internet 2 and
> NGI (Next Generation Internet) capabilities and technologies to Alaska. It
> will link the University of Alaska to the Pacific/Northwest Gigapop, which
> is the major national (and only high speed) Internet 2 network hub for the
> region, and is located in Seattle.
> http://uwnews.org/article.asp?articleID=1570

Hmm...when I read that, I thought, "Didn't we already have an OC-12?" (I was a
UA student and/or employee for several years, so was in the
networking "circles" for quite a while.) When I saw the date on the article:
April 2, 1999. :) But it's still cool that we have it. Granted, commodity
internet doesn't go over that link, but when you're on campus, and you're
downloading from a mirror hosted on a university system, you can get
*blazing* download speeds.

Joshua Kugler
Lead System Admin -- Senior Programmer
http://www.eeinternet.com
PGP Key: http://pgp.mit.edu/  ID 0xDB26D7CE
PO Box 80086 -- Fairbanks, AK 99708 -- Ph: 907-456-5581 Fax: 907-456-3111