Re: Switching from GCI to ACS

From: Fielder George Dowding <fgdowding@iceworm-enterprises.org>
Date: Tue Oct 02 2007 - 10:48:23 AKDT

Arthur Corliss wrote:
> On Tue, 2 Oct 2007, Bob Cortez wrote:
>
>> I am absolutely fed up with GCI and I'm dumping them for ACS DSL. I have
>> two XP boxes that I can use to set up the DSL modem if necessary, but I also
>> need to connect the modem to my router for my Ubuntu boxes and wireless for
>> the laptop. Anything I should know going in, or should this be a pretty
>> straight forward plug and play set up?
>
> It's been a few years since I've had DSL service, but it was simple to
> connect to ACS service with the roaring penguin pppoe client. I'd be
> surprised if that wasn't still true.
>
> --Arthur Corliss
> Live Free or Die

Within the past six months or so, I have had two situations where a
connection to an ACS DSL modem was needed. In the first case, the
individual was able to get his Windows (XP I think) laptop connected,
but I was unable to connect through the Debian GNU/Linux box. I had my
mirror on site and loaded the necessary utilities but I just couldn't
get it. Subsequently he (my Pipe Major no less) purchased a wireless
broadband router (I don't remember which brand) so he could connect the
Linux box and use wireless on his laptop. He couldn't get it and when I
tried I couldn't get it. I may have another whack at it now that he is
on an extended trip.

Another friend signed up and at first I couldn't get a connection. This
was not just a modem, it included a nat/firewall/dhcp server. After I
read all the documentation I came to understand that I may be able to
use pppoe on the Linux box (yes, Debian) but I should try setting up the
nat/firewall/dhcp server on the device first. So, logging in to the
embeded web server, I was able to set it up to a) make the DSL
connection and b) provide nat and dhcp.

For another recent experience, ask Doug MacLean.

Cheerio!

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Best regards       Debian/GNU Linux
Fielder George Dowding, Chief Iceworm        "etch" Testing