AKLUG and the future?

From: <jonr@destar.net>
Date: Fri Sep 28 2007 - 12:20:04 AKDT

WTF? That's my question as well. Are we not all friends? Are we not =20
all a members of this LUG because we enjoy using Linux and infecting =20
others with our enthusiasm? How many of you use Linux just for web =20
surfing and thats all you use it for, I would think not many at all. =20
We are intrigued by a free OS that can do everything we used to have =20
to pay for. We make money from selling our knowledge and in the end, =20
our customers get a stable and secure OS that costs them nothing to =20
install on as many servers as they like.

Why then is there any resistance at all to wanting to learn and share =20
more with our peers and anyone else who is interested? Why has Friday =20
night become a sacred cow that can't be touched? Is it just simply =20
because we don't have the space to have two concurrent meetings =20
happening at the same time once a month or is there something I am =20
missing? Friday is a perfect time to do this, people can come and hang =20
out without having to get up early for work the next day. Well, most =20
of us can. If people had one place to get all of their info then it =20
benefits Linux and AKLUG.

If anybody thinks that I am trying to change the AKLUG operates, you =20
are sadly mistaken. AKLUG was this way when I first started coming to =20
the meetings and I loved every minute of it in my early days of =20
learning Linux. The formula works and I am not going to try to change =20
that. All I am saying is that I would like to see what others are =20
doing and how they did it.

I am not into Beryl because I mostly use the CLI, but I would love to =20
know how it works to set it up on my wifes laptop for her. Hmmmm, I =20
wonder who would have some good info on that? I am not going to name =20
names but his initials are Damien Hull. I also wonder if, he whose =20
name was not mentioned, would have gone out and read a ton of =20
documentation on what it can do, what the requirements are and how to =20
set it up. Hey, he could tell me how to do it through email but he =20
can't show me anything, I would like to see it working.

None of us have the time to learn everything that we want to on our =20
own, it's just too much. I would like some help and to learn from =20
others who have already forged ahead and have the knowledge already.

Jon