Re: NTFS recovery in Linux

From: Michael Figley <michaelfigley@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu Jul 26 2007 - 15:24:26 AKDT

--- Royce Williams <royce@alaska.net> wrote:

> jonr@destar.net wrote, on 7/26/2007 12:04 PM:
> > Quoting Grant Stockly <grant@stockly.com>:
>
> >> When I plug the hard drive into a USB box and then plug it into my Windows
> >> XP workstation it instantly crashes and reboots my computer. I have never
> >> used NTFS file systems or USB under Linux. I would have to install a new
> >> modern linux on a computer here.
> >>
> >> Is this worth my time? Is there a chance Linux might be able to help me
> >> recover the data? I have RedHat 4.1, so maybe its time to upgrade. : )
> >
> > Why don't you give knoppix a try and see if you can't recover your
> > data from there. There are other LiveCDs out there you could also try
> > that are probably smaller but knoppix will mount the drives
> > automagically for you.
>
> You might also try TestDisk, which I've heard stuff about but haven't
> tried myself. The wiki page uses italics and bold too much, but it
> looks pretty good.
>
> http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
>
> Royce

Puppy is a smallish live distro, includes a graphical mount
manager "Mut" & NTFS support. Also, I'd try a different
connection, perhaps direct PATA/SATA just in case...
NO install required!

Also, on linux ( puppy via package install )
smartmontools may yield some basic info about
the drive's state via SMART, if the drive supports.
( most do nowadays ) TRK -live includes smartmontools.

Also, in my experience, USB can be unreliable for intensive
harddrive I/O, such as backups. On both Linux & `Doze
I've seen perfectly good drives get corrupted. maybe
a chipset issue?

Thanks for the testdisk link, I'll have to give it a test!

Cheers,
Mike